So, I've decided that I'm going to run a half marathon. I've chosen the Super Jock and Jill Half because it's close, flat, and soon (and doesn't overlap with cyclocross significantly). I have Haruki Murakami's book What I Talk About When I Talk About Running to blame for this. I never cared about these types of distances before, but now I want to try. And, no, I'm not going to start reading other running/sports books. I normally don't like them at all, but Murakami is one of my favorite fiction authors, so I thought I'd give it a try.
I posted on Facebook about this, in inquiring whether it was a crazy idea to start training now for a run in Sept., and people offered a lot of useful and positive suggestions. Some were overzealous in there advice for a training plan, but I won't hold that against them. I've learned that using a training plan makes me hate things that I'm supposed to love. And based on track season this year, I apparently can still race into shape successfully. If figure as long as I can work up to 10 miles in one run, I can whip out 13, though obviously I'm going to try for 13. I'd like to do it in under 2 hours, but I really don't care that much about time as long as I run the whole thing.
So in order to kick off the running, I went for a 3.1 mile loop from my house to Greenlake and back. I found a little website (livestrong, really, maybe you've heard?) that's 20 billion times better than mapmyride.com in terms of ads and negotiability, so here's the loop. I think I took about 38 minutes to do the full 3.1 miles, though it was the first time I've run in over a month. Plus, I got stopped at a bunch of crosswalks, including the longest traffic light in Seattle, apparently. Excuses already! This is going perfectly!
No comments:
Post a Comment