Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Musical Musing (copied from MySpace blog)

So I've realized a trend since I've been living away from Morgantown.
Occasionally, say once or twice every couple months, I'll wake up with a certain band's songs stuck in my head (specifically either Half Empty Bottle or You've Got Nothing). These aren't things that i recently listened to, either. Inevitably, I'll end up depressed and slightly homesick by the end of the day. I've finally figured out what this pattern, though it's been going on for some time.
Now, I'm not the kind of person who bursts into tears every time I hear "Country Roads" or something, but there's still music, and a lot of it, that I can't handle listening to, that I associate with high school and my first year or two of college. It's never music that makes any sense out of context, but in my small musical world, I can't handle (sans umlaut) uk (which makes the most sense), the Queers, Bad Religion, and a whole crap-ton of the pop-punk I listened to back when.
Not surprisingly, I have no such music associated with Maryland, as I really didn't enjoy college there that much. Sure, my department was great, and I made a couple friends (you know, and met that guy I married), but overall it wasn't my favorite experience. I can definitely listen to Ani DiFranco (though I haven't lately) and Q and Not U without strong emotions arising over anything other than the fact that I like them.
Seattle will probably have lingering feelings associated with music whenever I go and do whatever it is I will do, and I'm sure I won't be able to listen to things like the Silversun Pickups without feeling a bit down.

No comments: