Thursday, February 15, 2007

Important Life Skills (copied from MySpace blog)

(copied from my MySpace blog)

I get to do Arctic survival training in March. This takes place in Boulder, which as everyone knows is very close to the Arctic.
Things I might learn:
how to make a snow hut-thing
how to turn a helicopter/fixed-wing (airplane for those not into Alaska-lingo) into a place to live,
how to shoot a grizzly (or polar bear, though that's not my problem).
Oh, the life skills I have acquired while in graduate school... Hopefully, I will be able to protect myself and my advisor when we're doing field camp, as I totally don't trust him to protect himself, even if he does have the shot-gun. Truthfully, I would feel super-guilty for the rest of my life if I shot a grizzly. I'd probably feel guilty if I shot a glacier, though, too.


Also, for those in Morgantown who might not have heard, Jocelyn lives in Washington now! She's out on one of the San Juan islands, NW of Seattle. You have to take a ferry to get to it!


In other news, I'm set to become super-poor as Chris goes graduate school, the kind where you have to actually PAY! High school teachers: Let's put them in debt to go to school and then pay them shit for the rest of their lives! This is the way to build an education system!
But it will be much easier for him to be a secondary teacher than an academic too. We call that situation (i.e. two academics in the family) the "two body problem" because we (being academics) like to turn things into "problems" and make hypotheses and shit.


Also, I would love to know how I can get 14 hits to my blog in one day when I only let "friends" view it. I didn't even know I had that many friends.

No comments: