I spent the past weekend in WV visiting my family, especially my 94 year old grandmother who had taken a pretty big medical turn for the worst. I'm really glad that I visited, but it was pretty hard to see her in such a bad state physically and mentally, especially since none of these things are getting better. This was emotionally wrenching in and of itself, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to be there for my parents (she's my mom's mom) without physically being there and without stirring up a lot of the communication issues that my family seems to endlessly have. And, yes, this is starting off pretty heavy.
Visiting Morgantown and WV, in general, is always odd and getting odder the longer I live away from there. It really was a decent place to grow up, but it just seems like the town, especially the downtown area, is getting shittier and shittier. WVU definitely has its share of good, dedicated students, but it seems like a lot of them are of the "I'm a visitor here, so I don't need to worry about keeping things clean and reasonable" mindset, not that some locals probably don't have similar views. And the amount of people who yell insulting things at people who are walking down the street is just amazing. It's like they're constantly stuck in a 10th grade mindset. Seriously.
I did manage to get out for some exercise, which was necessary for my sanity. I took my dad's road bike out, though I can never get the saddle to perfect location, so I was stuck with okay until it made my hamstrings and knees hurt. I also went running quite a bit, including at Prickett's Fort, which I hadn't been to since high school. That was odd. It was also odd because I remembered it being really far away, when it's really only about 20 minutes.
And now I'm back to manuscripts and training for cross and everything else. Though I do miss some things about WV, specifically summer dusk near the woods, I am really glad to be back in Seattle.
No comments:
Post a Comment