Thursday, February 11, 2010

Okay land

Well, one thing that hasn't been exciting here, as opposed to where most of my family is, is the weather.  It's back to Seattle winter
Earlier this week, I saw Awesome Land: Women of Dirt, which is a movie about women who race and ride downhill.  It wasn't bad, certainly, and I'm sure it's pretty amazing for the women to actually get some coverage of what they're doing.  But it felt like I was watching a feature-length YouTube video of people biking with a little bit of talking.  I felt like it was torn between the documentary-discussion side and the showing people doing crazy things side.  Instead of deciding whether to actually address the lives of the women in a clearly male-dominated sport or just make a fun-to-watch Warren-Miller-style downhill film, this movie gave too much of either and just felt a bit disjointed.  That said, there was some really cool filmography.  And basically all of the riding in the film was women going down things that would give me a heart attack.  My fear of downhills was certainly out in force while watching this, and it didn't make them seem less bad but worse, even though there were very few crashes in the video.  I hate descents.


No comments: