This week, I've been happy to not be sick! I had a low-key weekend, mainly just hanging at home and doing a pretty easy and comfortable mountain bike ride. This past week has been my re-commitment to exercise: ab stuff and lifting on Monday, running on Tuesday, an awful-feeling Wednesday Night Worlds (mountain bike training race) last night plus ab stuff and lifting, and on Friday I'm doing track racing. Before last night, I hadn't done any sustained efforts in a while, so that was quite a bit dismal to jump into to. And I did something stupid to my shoulder one time when I fell on Sunday, so it's been hurting more than I think it should, especially when trying to pull the bike up (going over logs or up hill). But actual training should pay off when I go to Spokane for the sooner-than-I'd-like 24 hour race Memorial Day Weekend.
I finished Ishbel this past week, however. I even blocked it and everything! I have to say that doing this made me realize how awesome lace is to knit. It was incredibly fun and gratifying to watch the pattern develop, though I certainly learned the difficulties of knitting patterns that need attention (and the importance of putting in lifelines). I just started some baby legwarmers for my advising-advisor, as he just had a child last week. They're super quick and small, so I'm sure I'll get them done this weekend without a problem.
I start a new CSA tonight. I really liked the one from last year (Helsing Farms). It's a woman-owned farm that grows everything they send out in their boxes, with really convenient pick up locations. But I had a hard time with some of the stuff that they sent, a bit too much of some things that I just don't care for. I also found it difficult to remember to set up the monthly payments; they wouldn't do it automatically, and you didn't get reminders about it or confirmations when you do pay. In fact, I totally forgot to pay the last one, and they didn't get in touch with me for MONTHS afterward. This one (Full Circle Farms) is much bigger (a bit more corporate?), and they don't grow everything they send you, though it's all regionally local (i.e. not from CA but maybe from OR); the majority of the food is organic, too. However, they have a bit more variety, and I can pick and choose what items I want/don't want every week. I can also permanently block items (celery and bok choy so far). And I can easily cancel one week or a couple weeks or just stop the whole thing if it's not working out, with very little notice (the week before, in fact). I just hope I can find enough time to cook for real.
No comments:
Post a Comment