Tuesday, October 26, 2010

SSCXWC

So in case anyone who actually looks at this doesn't know, I've started using tumblr: rachellovesrocks.tumblr.com. My blog posts here automatically show up there and link back and forth. I think I like the format, as I can easily re-blog people's posts, post videos and music, and I feel okay just putting 1-2 lines posts. The tagging makes keeping track of streams of thought easier (not that I can't do that here, but still). Since I just got an Android phone, I think there's some potential for me to use it to post, though I'm still figuring out exactly how to work that well.
Anyway, this past weekend was Single Speed Cyclocross World Champs help at Pacific Raceways in Kent, WA. This was my first time racing single speed; I borrowed (and have now purchased) a bike from a teammate. OMG, it was such a blast. It was incredibly muddy, about 1/3 the racers were in costume, and there was beer everywhere. There are some pictures (taken by Joe Martin) here (the pictures include the MFG races and not just the single speed race). If you look, you'll see the start of the single speed world champs by the pictures where we are all running up a hill en masse. I was having a great time, probably doing fairly well (unfortunately, this series is apparently incapable of posting results in a timely manner), when my bike just froze. The singleator basically went into my spokes. I was determined to finish the race, though, so I ran. if I had realized that I still had like 3/4 of the course left, I probably wouldn't have run it, but I was not that aware. Anyway, I think I was the last finisher (or 2nd to last because of a rider who let me finish in front of her), but I only got lapped once by maybe the top 20 guys, so I still think I was okay. I was right near a teammate when my bike decided to explode, so I'm going to mentally place myself right after her whenever the results get posted.

Here's me toward the beginning of the race:


And here's me less happy but still with a functioning bike:

(Photos courtesy of Joe Martin)

Here's me muddy and not super happy.

(Photo from Dennis Crane)

No comments: