Bike Racing Pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/rheadley
So, biking, yeah, the upgrade is going to happen. And it's frightening, but I'll deal with it. I'm planning for it after the Wenatchee stage race (early May?), fyi.
Anyway, yes, Kurt Vonnegut died on my birthday. This is actually one of only a few celebrity deaths that I have actually felt some sort of affect from, in this case actual sadness. I think some of the other big, "public" deaths that have bothered me have been Elliot Smith and Jim Henson, and that's about it. Anyway, there was a sort of eulogy/appreciation in the Washington Post. (I have no idea if that link will work.) It's pretty good, but the last sentence completely jars with me:
"If there is a God and if He or She is kind -- which, it must be said, the author of "God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater" would have been the first to doubt -- that is exactly where Kurt Vonnegut is right now."
Maybe I'm missing an inside joke/reference or something (which could very easily be the case), but I just don't find that necessary for someone who was president or something just as figure-head-ish of a humanist group, even with the included caveat. But, really, I might just be missing something.
Yes, the exciting world of Rachel is very exciting right now. It's weird to actually be taking a class instead of teaching. And research-wise, if anyone has an urge to read and summarize, with useful questions, about 6 papers of glacial erosion, that would be swell.
No comments:
Post a Comment