Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Leaving on a jet plane

I fly to Alaska tomorrow for an exciting 2+ weeks. Everything that can be done before I go has been done. I'm hoping everything works out well and that the weather is amazing and allows us for good field work. Actually, I just hope the weather isn't rainy every day I'm there; that would be amazing compared to two years ago. At least I am prepared with reading material this year. between glacier/tectonics/geomorphology papers and my current feminist book, all that I'll be missing is the new Harry Potter, which will sadly arrive at my home before I do.
In the future, there will be Alaska pictures and maybe robots.
I'd also like to point you to this article, which I found on another ex(ish)-West Virginian's blog. As an expat West Virginian, I am well aware of the confusion involved in thinking about the state. I am always drawn to these types of articles. One of my friends has a similar type of paper written as Essay 4. While I actually do not consider myself a Southerner by any stretch of the imagination (stereotypical example: I didn't have grits until I was living in Seattle), I understand the want for a cultural identity that comes from being from such a forgettable state. When I switched my car's tags to Washington, WV wasn't even an option that worked. I had to use Virginia. And, yes, Richmond is in that Virginia, not mine.

No comments: