Well, two days ago I returned from my Alaska research trip. I got some good data, though there were quite a few things that did not go off as planned. And I absolutely detest one of my field assistants, so that wasn't too fun to be stuck on a glacier with him for 8 days. Since getting back, I've mainly been relaxing. I learned about the Tour (oh Rasmussen, why did you break my heart like Millar and Hamilton before you?). I raced track on Wednesday, which was certainly not my best race ever, but hopefully Volunteer Park will go better. I finished Harry Potter, which I am having mixed feelings about. I leave again for Alaska in a couple days, but this time I will be crusing which will certainly be different.
Here's some statistics about my Alaska trip:
1 Moose seen in some water near Cordova, Alaska
7 grizzlies (3 singles and 2 moms+cubs) seen from a plane, thankfully
2 out of 11 targets permanently lost on the Seward glacier
3 bush planes + 1 helicopter that I flew on
1 documentary crew that interviewed me
7 nights spent attempting to sleep on a side glacier
I also have many
pictures. Here are some of the better ones:

The moose in the water.

The first beach I have seen all summer.

All of the crap that I hauled out to the glacier. The pink things are my targets.

Our camp.

View South from my surveying station.

View East from my surveying station.

View North from my surveying station.

Not working at all.

The theodolite that was my actual work.

Lenticular clouds over St. Elias. Bring on the bad weather!
It was a good experience, overall, and I certainly learned a lot, not only about the region and the glacial dynamics but also about snow/crevasse safety and how to/how not to plan for a field season. It's nice to have a shower and not to have to dig pits for a toilet. The cruise ship is going to be such a stark contrast.
No comments:
Post a Comment