Sunday, May 18, 2008

Bee in the bonnet

I survived the heat of Wenatchee fairly well. I surprised myself with a 4th place in the TT. My result (getting pulled) was much less spectacular in the crit. It was 100 degrees out during said crit, it should be mentioned. And the road race was basically hell: also very hot, 42 miles with 13-ish miles of climbing up over 2000 feet. I managed to get to the top with a group, more or less. Upon starting the descent, at one of the steeper sections, a bee (I think, I didn't actually look) that was just crossing the street hit me and went down my sports bra. This was just a bit unpleasant, and I had to stop to get the stupid thing out. I got a minor sting, and luckily I'm not allergic or anything. But I couldn't re-catch my group, and right when I got started moving, another group flew by. I was on my own, but I did manage to finish, and I wasn't dead last. I think I place top ten overall, but it has less meaning when it's out of 15-or-so. I am so glad it's not super hot now, though. And I'm glad this weekend is over.

1 comment:

jillita said...

Way to go! Your ovaries are way bigger than mine for completing a stage race in that heat. Track racing at twilight is going to be a vacation for you.