Monday, May 25, 2009

Riding and Plants

Haven't updated in a while. I've taken a pretty nice and relaxing weekend, with a little mountain biking (my first time at Tiger Mountain) and road riding and a lot of getting stuff done around the house. I didn't write about Wenatchee last week because, well, it wasn't that spectacular. I think I got second from last in the road race, which is pretty awful. I did fine in the TT and crit, but that road race and its associated 90+ degree weather was just too much. However I did succumb to one of few actually unhealthy habits and got a pretty decent tan. Accomplishments!
On this past Friday, I went out for track racing for the first time this year. It was so much more fun than road racing has been, and I managed 2nd in the first scratch race, nothing useful in the point-a-lap (I hate those so much) which was immediately following an insanely confusing wheel race, and 3rd in the 4x4. Overall, it went pretty well, and I'm hoping the rest of the season follows similarly. The field wasn't huge for women, only 9, but I hope it looks like it should be decent sized for the regular season.
On Saturday morning, I went to the U-District farmer's market also for the first time this year. I started my pesto making process with two large bunches of basil that never make as much pesto as I think they should. I also decided to try my hand at urban gardening, and I bought some tomato plants that are bred for growing in containers and some herbs. Here's what they looked like after I spent most of the day potting and re-potting all the plants I own:


Herbs from clockwise from top: lavender, sage, something that I can't remember (!!!), and Thai basil


Trader Joe's sweet basil that I put outside a couple weeks ago and subsequently got too cold and killed a lot of the leaves


Up-close and personal with herbs.



Tomato plants in their giant container, which I will eventually have to stake. A person working at City People's told me that depth was really important. The container is a one-season-only container that can be put in the compost (city collected) when it's done: it was really cheap.

No comments: