Monday, March 1, 2010

Grinding, grinding, grinding

I'm in a crunch-time period again. I've got two presentations (one conference, one class), finishing the TAing and finalizing grades for my labs, trying to finally get this one paper out, plus trying to build up the framework for my next project. I just got down TAing, though, and I need to non-science or teaching break right now. Next Tuesday I go to Colorado for an Arctic Workshop. It should be a fun and interesting conference, but I'm not really prepared for it right now. I'm going to actually start the post-doc search while there, which is terrifying. But it's not as terrifying as my night-mares about never finishing graduate school that wake me up at 1am. Yes, these are actually happening.
This weekend was a good although busy break from things. I did a 70+ miles ride with Chris and some of his teammates, which is the longest ride for me of the season. I've been lifting a ton during the week, and it hurt my climbing, as my hip was super sore. Spinning and sprinting weren't too bad, but I totally sucked at the climbing portions. I need to try and get some spinning in during the week, otherwise I'm going to just be sore all the time. My hip is still bugging me when I walk, though biking is pretty neutral right now.
I didn't ride on Sunday, as I was really sore. But I did watch the Olympic hockey game and drink a lot of champagne with friends. I haven't really been that into the Olympics. I got fed up with hearing about both the IOC's and NBC's separate but similarly monopolistic doings. While I like watching the sports, the whole bureaucracy and financial stuff surrounding it have really kind of been ruined the games for me. I didn't even watch any short track speed skating. All this being said, the hockey game was a very exciting game to watch.
And, as I slowly get with the times, I've discovered the wonders of Hulu. In doing this, I found my new favorite television show: Caprica. I have never seen Battlestar Galactica, but this show is incredible. It's exactly the kind of science fiction that I adore (i.e. focused on people and society with the technology as just a part of it). I highly suggest it, if you need any viewing suggestions.

No comments: