Friday, August 31, 2007

Habits and eavesdropping

As part of my life, since middle school, I've taken knitting up on and off. Normally I find some somewhat challenging, yet not incredibly intensive project to do, then I teach myself what I need for that, accomplish it, and then put down the needles for at least half a year. My recent obsession is this bag. The one I'm making isn't turning out so hot, as I think the cotten yarn I chose is a bit thinner than the hemp called for in the pattern. I think I might make one bag then attempt another with some modifications. We'll see. Unfortunately, my knitting talents up to now have been used on scarves, hats, and a lone pair of mittens. Most useful projects (i.e. sweaters) are beyond my attention span.
Across from my office is one of the professors who does undergraduate advising, and I can always hear every word. There is currently an undergrad in there who has been working on his degree since 1990 at various institutions. The question was asked, "have you had a performance art class?" The reply was. "I had a sailing class." The student also stated that there is a rule that the university won't let you transfer credit from other schools, which is completely bogus. The conversation has been going similarly for at last 45 minutes. This is probably the same student, who when I was having a meeting with this professor yesterday, called up and demanded, "I need to see you for advising tomorrow," instead of something like "Would you have time to meet with me tomorrow for an advising appointment?" This is a new level of special.

No comments: