Tuesday, February 12, 2008

But not right now

Finally a weekend just at home. I got a bike ride on Sunday; I couldn't get myself to get out on Saturday, even though the weather was great. But I did do a lot of other work then, and I went to the caucus, my first one ever. Now that was an experience.
I was in one of 7-ish precincts in a high school gym. My precinct had about 86 people sign in, with 5 delegates available. We went 4 Obama to 1 Clinton, which seemed to be a trend in the other precincts, too. While it was an interesting experience, I'm still not sure if it's the best method for this. I feel it's somewhat exclusive to people who don't work on Saturdays, aren't intimidate by large groups, are fairly aware of what's happening politcally, and feel comfortable having their vote be somewhat public. At least the primary ballot would be private and could be done absentee, which is how a lot of people vote in Seattle. But since the delegates technically aren't required to vote how they were appointed, they could conceivably take into account the primary. Since, state-wide, the caucus went 2-1 Obama to Clinton, I have a feeling the primary will probably be the same, but in theory the delegates could change their minds or have some influence from the primary. The one cool thing about the caucus is how many people I ran into who I knew, from either grad school or cycling. It really made my communities feel real, beyond where I normally see people.
In other news, I had my first midterm in probably 2 years today. I have forgotten how to study, which is a shame but probably won't matter again until the final. The test wasn't really conceptually hard, but there was a lot of information that should have been memorized. And that is not my strong suit at all. But it's over, so it's all good.

And matlab is slow

No comments: