Wednesday, February 27, 2008

I went ahead and made the Buddha's Jewels (Moosewood) last night. I have to say that they were a bit disappointing. While they were filling (basically 90% tofu dumplings) and not bad, they were very bland. The recipe didn't call for any salt or pepper, but I added both as it seemed sacrilege to not. Maybe it was the low-sodium soy sauce I used or something. It really could have used some heat, too, something I discovered too late to usefully add some chili flakes, though I did anyway. In the sauce, there were choices to add orange, pineapple, or apple juice (for liquid) and brown sugar, maple syrup, or honey (for sweetener). I went the maple syrup and orange juice route because I had them, but I think in the future (which probably won't happen) I would use pineapple and brown sugar. The sauce also was a bit ugly, though even ugly things can taste good, so that's not really a negative.

The dumplings and sauce:



The finished product:




No comments: