Track yesterday was weird. I didn't race, as I'm "in recovery mode." I did volunteer, though, and I was the "runner" for the night, delivering the results and things from the announcer booth. This also involved an important call from the officials' tower, where they told me to go talk to Phil. He gives me a hug, hands me $5, and says "double-tall latte." If it was anyone but Phil, I would have been annoyed but whatever. With all the running back and forth that I did, I felt more tired than I have after some races. I don't think I'm ever volunteering for that position again.
Since I'm clearly really good about this recovery thing, I led the womens' track practice on Thursday. But I swear I did it in an easy gear (49x16, ~81 inches)! I promise! It was fun, almost half the group were new riders, and a couple were on the track bike for some of their first times this summer. We did some easy drills, but I knew that the track wanted the motorbike to come out, since there was the men's keirin the next day. After discussing it with the women, we did two practice keirins. It was a blast, and I think everyone really enjoyed it and learned a lot. I know it's pretty advanced, but I think it went really well. One of the women asked me if I had taught before and said that, basically, that I had a very comprehensive (I can't remember the actual term she used but this works) way of speaking. I'm not sure if this was just a polite way of saying that I talked a lot, but I'll take what I can get.
Today, after talking to some people at the track, I went geocaching with some friends. It was really fun, albeit a bit short. We dominated the little competition at Rattlesnake Lake (the geocaching was part of the Mountains to Sound Greenway celebration), winning tickets to the Summit at Snoqualmie. I felt a little bad, as most of the other groups had small children, whereas we were much more mobile, but it was a cool experience anyway.
And finally, I did see a doctor for my leg. The Sports Medicine Clinic at Hall Health is always funny to me. Most of the doctors deal with the UW's athletes, but they still get really excited to see me, as I'm certainly in shape and have good muscle definition. They actually had two separate MDs look at my leg, but unfortunately, the place where it hurts is right where some muscles from the hamstring overlap with muscles from the calf, so there wasn't a good way to figure out which one it was actually in. I have been using The Stick, though apparently it's miraculous manner does not appear to be working on me. And I'm seeing a PT in the coming week. This will get figured out! And I will be back to track racing.
No comments:
Post a Comment