I raced the crosstoberfest race this weekend at St. Ed's. It was really fun, though the wind got to quite epic conditions. I felt pretty good, despite a really shitty warm up, but somehow I was able to light a fire under myself and pass 2-3 people in the last lap for 4th place. I always feel good when people in my own category compliment me by saying stuff like how fast I was going that they couldn't keep up. I also did the relay race with Carol and roped Chris in, too. He was a very good sport about it. I won't post his picture, but we were adorable.
Graduate school, glaciers, bike racing, environmentalism, feminism, music, knitting, and other things
Monday, October 6, 2008
Fairies and Flats
It's so dark out now, even at 2:30 in the afternoon. I think winter will be okay this year; for some reason last year, I was just going crazy because of the dark. But I'm going to be better prepared, hopefully.
I raced the crosstoberfest race this weekend at St. Ed's. It was really fun, though the wind got to quite epic conditions. I felt pretty good, despite a really shitty warm up, but somehow I was able to light a fire under myself and pass 2-3 people in the last lap for 4th place. I always feel good when people in my own category compliment me by saying stuff like how fast I was going that they couldn't keep up. I also did the relay race with Carol and roped Chris in, too. He was a very good sport about it. I won't post his picture, but we were adorable.
On Sunday, I did the Intro to Women's Racing Ride, as it's the only one I could attend due to cross-constraints. There were probably maybe 10 new riders with lots and lots of people already on teams. It was a fun ride, until I somehow got a double pinch flat on the trail out towards Bellevue. I have no idea how it happened; I know my wheels were inflated, and I seriously don't recall hitting anything, but they both just popped, with big snake bites in them. Thanks to Gina for saving me, having CO2 cartridges, and being so quick in the change, as I only had one extra tube with me. I felt pretty useless during the change, actually. I joined the group of about 10 people who did Mercer Island on top of South End, which was a different experience for me. I never, ever extend rides beyond what they can be. How did I become such a roadie? But the weather was wonderful, and Mercer is pretty in the fall. I also felt pretty strong, thanks to actually training for cross this year. This ride was also a great sign to me because it was fun! I'm not burned out right now! I would have hated it last year, but I'm actually still enjoying biking, even though I've been racing since March. Hallelujah! This is like a major breakthrough, and I am amazed.
I raced the crosstoberfest race this weekend at St. Ed's. It was really fun, though the wind got to quite epic conditions. I felt pretty good, despite a really shitty warm up, but somehow I was able to light a fire under myself and pass 2-3 people in the last lap for 4th place. I always feel good when people in my own category compliment me by saying stuff like how fast I was going that they couldn't keep up. I also did the relay race with Carol and roped Chris in, too. He was a very good sport about it. I won't post his picture, but we were adorable.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment