Graduate school, glaciers, bike racing, environmentalism, feminism, music, knitting, and other things
Monday, June 22, 2009
Belated Birthday
So, Happy late Birthday to WV (June 20, 1863; I can never forget that because of some song that was brainwashed in me at a young age). For reasons that I don't quite understand, lots of my friends who are from WV and have left the state, myself included, are all about being from WV. It's kind of exotic, I guess, and part of it might come from the realization that the state has a constant "brain drain" of bright, talented young people. There are certainly some who stick around or go back, but normally when you leave, you don't go back forever. But I, personally, still pay attention to the happenings in the state, especially related to higher education and job creation (especially of the non-mining variety). One blog I check frequently is http://www.abetterwestvirginia.com/. I could go on and on about this, but in short, I'd love to see the state do better economically and grow out of its stereotypes, but I don't think I can ever go back there for good and actually be part of the change. I've grown used to actual 'urban areas full of like-minded people, and my expertise isn't really 'useful (no glaciers have touched WV).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment