Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Party on

And once again my <a
href="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/30/AR2007103002046.html">hometown</a>
is mentioned in the press. If it weren't for WVU's party school status
and football, I don't think you'd ever hear about it. Ah, infamy...
And if you are interested, the best <a
href="http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2007/10/cross-my-heart-and-hope-to-die-bsnyc.html">cyclocross
primer</a> in the universe is posted on <a
href="http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/">Bike Snob NYC.</a> This might
completely change my strategy, really.
As is obvious, if you check the time for this post, I have not had much
of a work ethic this week. Getting ready for the conference kind of
blew out all of my steam. I hope I feel some spark of motivation soon.
I've also been doing some soul-searching on cycling teams (yes, for the
two of you from Ti who read this, this is true). I put a fair amount of
work in being the cat 4 captain last year, and basically no one came out
to race but a couple of us. It sucked, but I definitely gained some
good racing mates on other teams. In fact, about 8 of us (multi-team)
have now made the transition to racing with the big girls (i.e. cat
1-3s) for next year. Unfortunately, my team has lost a lot of people
lately, due to fairly similar complaints. It's been a tough year, but
my team is huge and very easy to get lost in; there wasn't great
communication and/or skill-building from the 1-3s to the 4s, and the
team itself is really stretched thin with masters', men's, women's,
cross racer's, mtber's, etc. interests all at stake. Plus we tend to
make committees for everything, which really just extends the time taken
on anything. A pure women's team with road and cross emphasis would be
perfect. But my team does have potential, plus it has some damn awesome
people who will be great to train with. I think I'm also worried about
being the weakest link, due to my lack of time for training because of
research and school. But mainly, I'm not the kind of person who can
just hang out and watch things unfold. I cannot NOT be involved. So if
I stay on the current team, it's going to be the same work I've been
doing for the past couple years that hasn't really felt useful. But
maybe magically things will get better. Or I could go to something
established and not worry, though I'm sure I'd still be involved. But I
think I'm too much of a wuss to actually leave a team; plus I think I'm
too drawn to works in progress. So, yeah.
On a different note, I was involved in a 10 minute discussion on <a
href="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=flowbee&spell=1">Flowbees</a>
yesterday. Apparently you can still buy them on ebay. Personally, I
want Flowbee haircuts to be the next big hipster thing. Maybe everyone
will sell their fixies on craigslist for Flowbees? Man, that was
probably the most elitist thing I've written in a while, but whatever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sad:( Don't leave! You definitely won't be the weakest link:) And I know the ones that remained have been working hard on trying to bond us into a better team for next year. At least from the Cat. 3 front, I know I want to get us back to the same feeling we had racing as Cat. 4's two years ago:) I promise to do everything I can to make next year rock and if it still sucks...then well....then I may look with you:)