Sunday, August 10, 2008

7 lbs. of blueberries!

My first weekend with actual riding in it ended rather poorly. I raced track on Friday. Unfortunately, not enough women showed up, so we raced with the cat 4s, though we did have our own keirin. It was actually my first keirin ever, and I did rather poorly (last place). I just wasn't thinking about positioning at all. And on top of flat, my calve had been hurting in the first race (12 lap tempo). I made some adjustments, and it felt better. But today when I road out to Kirkland for the crit, it was hurting on Juanita. I had to bum a ride home, and I clearly didn't race. I just want the pain to stop.
Provided this gets better, I'm thinking of getting coaching for cyclocross. I really want a non-burnt out season, and I've never had a coach before. It could be an interesting experiment. I think I have most of the skills and things to do well, but I just need a little more of a push.

On the food side of things, this week has been pretty good. Chris and Jen T. went berry picking last weekend, so we're well stocked on raspberries and some different types of blueberries. I made chocolate souffles that made use of these. I think they turned out great, maybe a tad on the dry side but still very tasty. Then yesterday, Chris and I headed out to Henna Blueberry Farm outside of Fall City. We picked 7 lbs. of wonderfully ripe blueberries. I think I had more blueberries yesterday than real food. I'm going to attempt to make some blueberry preserves, so if anyone can offer any help, it would be really appreciated.

For anyone not squeamish, wish me luck tomorrow on my gum graft. I am really not looking forward to this, but hopefully it will makes things better for the future.



2 comments:

JT said...

I did once read that eating too many blueberries can cause calf cramps. Just teasing. Hope you're on the mend soon! Good to see you this weekend!

Jen

PS - I do have good jam recipe... I'll see if I can scan you a copy tonight.

grepgirl said...

Oooh, gum graft eh? Believe it or not, I actually had one of those done a few years ago before getting braces. I was happy to find it not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. It felt like a hot food burn and healed pretty quickly. Good luck! I hope yours goes well!