I'm back to normal now after two weeks that were much more chaotic than I expected. I went back East over FSA weekend. It was really good to see my family, especially right then. I also got to see the new child of two of my high school friends. Holy domestication, Batman! But they will make incredibly awesome parents, based on what I saw. My sister also came in to Morgantown; it's pretty rare for all of us to be there for the summer.
I am a bit sad about missing FSA, as it sounded pretty awesome. But I will be out this Friday, again. My leg seems to finally have healed, and all of my bikes seem to have decent fits.
This past weekend, I did a rather epic hike up to Easton Glacier on Mt. Baker. We chose the longest route to get out there, which was truly awful for my non-hiking self, especially with a 40 lb. bag on my back. I went up for a night for Girls on Ice, and I talked a bit about glacial erosion and geomorphology, though I wasn't nearly as organized as I had hoped. This trip kind of snuck up on me, what with me being on the East Coast the previous week and all. In retrospect, being on the ice with 9 teenage girls was pretty over-shadowingly cool, but I am not far enough in time to pretend that the hike wasn't completely miserable for me. I feel like I'm getting to the age where I can't just up and do these pretty decent trips. I'll probably have to actually get more into shape for these in the future or at least make sure I'm not coming off an injury. I got absolutely no pictures, as I was desperately trying to keep up with the Parks Service woman who I hiked up with. She pretty much backpacks to glaciers for a living, so I guess I can't feel that bad.
I was only on the glacier for a night, but it totally wiped me out. I attempted to do a small ~1 hour long cross practice with Chris and a teammate. That hurt so bad. But at least there were berries waiting for me at home, thanks to Chris going berry picking with Jen. That sounded like a much more enjoyable expedition! And one of my friends who was gone for research just got back, so there's a fair amount to do in Seattle now, aside from actually getting on the bike.
And now I'm back to my computer.
No comments:
Post a Comment