Monday, September 29, 2008

Evergreen

The race at Evergreen yesterday was a total blast! It was warm and sunny and maybe too sandy, but it was still a fast and tight course. I was really excited to see a large women's field. If I remember the numbers correctly, the turnout was something like this:
33 cat 4s
19 masters
21 cat 3s
5 singlespeeders (this must be an SCC record)
11 cat 1/2s
My race went really well, even after getting there at 7:30 because a certain someone worked early registration. I took a short nap in the car, truthfully, so it wasn't too bad. I had a crappy warm up, but I still got a great start, seeding in in about 3rd position. I think because I still have a lot of track power left, I'm pretty good at starts. I don't like getting the hole shot, though, as I have nothing to pace off of then. Anyway, it was a fast race, but I felt sloppy through a lot of the corners, even though I was passing people through them. Of course, when I hit the run up, they all just passed me back. I really need to work on those more; I just had no power. I ended up in 5, pretty close to 4th place. I had almost overtaken her, but then I crashed. Most creative cross excuse ever, certainly! I was a bit disappointed, as I was hoping for top 3, but I think I can get there over the season.

1 comment:

grepgirl said...

You had a great race yesterday, nice job! That run-up was tough on me too. Usually I make up ground on those, but I just kept falling back on it yesterday. Thanks for cheering for me! Wasn't my best day. Gotta hit Marymoor on Wednesdays, I'm out of shape and out of practice.

Great job! I'll probably see you at Crosstoberfest.