Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Covergence of Seasons

3 different types of bike racing in one weekend: track, road, and cross.
We ended the road season with the Blackberry crit in Bremerton on Sunday. Compared to the 8-10 women we had last year, and in response to the highly controversial WSBA emails, there were 21 women who showed up. This was more than was in the cat 4 field, though it was raining for them. We rode down to the ferry and over, which was a bit hectic but fine. The race went really well. I was worried since I haven't done a real road race since like Methow Valley or something, but I felt great during the race. I tried to stay up front and watch for non-TGH breaks, but none happened as there were 7 of us in the field, and the rest of us kind of dominated the pace. I ended up in 10th, with my team also getting 1, 4, and some other places. I had absolutely no trouble staying with the pack for the entire race, which means that my crit racing has improved (or more likely) that this was a kind of slower pace.
The cross race on Monday also was good for me, though I was kind of disappointed by my result. There were over 12 cat 3s, which is a decent turnout for this early in the cross season. For this race and the Bremerton crit, I had no idea how I was going to feel when I started racing. I got into a good groove for the cross race, though I couldn't stay with the woman right in front of me. I also had an awesome pass on a steep corner and a much less awesome fall on the run-up. I ended up in 4th, and I can tell it's going to be a competitive season this year.
And, holy crap, Chris starts teaching tomorrow.

No comments: