More biking stuff, not surprisingly:
I didn't race this weekend. I loved Independence Valley last year, but I wasn't feeling it at all on Thursday and Friday, so I backed out. I can also add that my weird back pain is still there, so that's a good excuse, but really I just wanted a bit of a break. I've done 5 races so far this year, and it's still only March. I was supposed to be gone for most of late March and April, so I hadn't really thought through biking right now instead of the break for research. I think I might just go through to the Volunteer Park and Boat Street Crits, then take some racing time off. I have to say that I am feeling a bit burnt on racing; it just doesn't feel too fun right now. I think explained this pretty well a couple of posts ago, so I don't really feel like going into details. Maybe I'll try some climbing or do some mountain biking (yeah, right) for a while. I really don't want to be feeling burnt when track and the real crit seasons roll around, so I know I want to take it more slowly than not.
Speaking of track, I went to the Marymoor auction on Saturday night. It was fun, and it's always a good excuse to dress up. I have to say that it didn't feel as energetic and crowded as last year, but there are a lot of reasons that I can think of for that: day before Easter, immediately after IVRR, and no big speaker like Frankie Andreu from last year. I partook in the silent auction got myself a new heart rate monitor/cyclocomputer and a session of ballroom dance lessons at the Century Ballroom. I have absolutely no good reason for the second item, but I've been wanting to try it for a while, probably doing a swing class or maybe salsa, and this gives me a great excuse. Although Chris believes I have no "tempo" (and probably no "grace" either but that hasn't been discussed lately) I think it will be fun. I also think that as long as I pay attention (key point, though), I should have no problem with this. 10 years of dance class as a kid (ballet and modern) have hopefully had some effect on me, even if I don't show it in my normal, lost in thought and running into stuff, daily life. Plus, I think I can be pretty graceful on the bike, so that's one thing I have going for me.
Oh, and in case anyone cares, my great biweekly new meal idea has been postponed until the new quarter starts. The appendectomy and just general life got in the way, and I'll likely be camping for part of this week. I also haven't been feeling any recipes lately.
1 comment:
Hey Rachel,
I stumbled across your blog -- very cool! Kudos to you for racing the 3s this year. I'm glad to hear there's been a good turnout. Sorry to hear about the burnout. Best thing I can say is listen to your body. I took the ENTIRE winter off. I just couldn't get motivated to ride, which was really unlike me. In January I was seriously thinking I was just done with racing, but I just needed a break. I started riding again this month and now it feels great to be back on the bike. A break is pretty refreshing.
I don't know how you raced cross, road, and track last year and did great at all three. That's superhuman! I'm dabbling in mountain biking this year, so maybe I'll see you out there.
Post a Comment