I did Mason 2 on Saturday, and it was definitely a learning experience. I'm really not used to having teammates let alone 6 or 7. We had a plan, and it didn't necessarily work how everyone wanted it to, but the right people ended up in the right place anyway. It's kind of stressing me out because some people take this bike racing thing way more seriously than I do. I enjoy being competitive, and I enjoy being on my bike, but truthfully >50% of my racing enjoyment comes from the social aspect of it. I have a tough time separating my off the bike friendliness from racing competitiveness; really, I just want to chat half the time. It kind of makes me wish I could have just stayed a cat 4, but I do enjoy actually racing with people I can more inherently trust, skill-wise, at least.
There are certain negative elements that have always bigged me about racing, regardless of the team. The things that have gotten and are getting me down about bike racing and further make me understand why some people have to take a year or two off occasionally:
- Cattiness - both pre-, post-, and while racing (especially in regard to unintentional/rookie mistakes people made during a race)
- Negativity toward any new changes in racing (Don't even let me get started on some of the stuff I've heard about the cat 3 series. Can't people even try to be supportive of this developmental experiment? I personally think it is very positive in terms of rider development and not scaring people away.)
- Racing against someone versus racing for someone (I know it's somewhat integral to racing, but it drives me nuts. If you have GC leader or something, ride for them, not against everyone else.)
Maybe I just need to relax and just stop thinking sometimes, but it's certainly going to take time for me to get to that point. It seems like a steep learning curve to go from being fairly solo as a successful cat 4 to being part of a much larger team as a middle-of-the-pack cat 3.
No comments:
Post a Comment