Monday, November 12, 2007

Long weekend

After battling parking on campus, I have finally moved my fast computer to its rightful place. I never knew that so many people would come to school on a holiday, though judging by the cars I recognize, I think it's mostly other graduate students.
Ft. Flagler was a blast. The courses were awesome, and the weather was great on Saturday. Sunday was just a little bit windy. I love riding past/through the old gun emplacements and bunkers. I totally spaced on bringing a camera (and sadly a cowbell, also). Though I placed better, I felt horrible Saturday morning because I didn't really sleep due to a really, really loud snorer in the barracks ($20 a night!). I zonked out around 9:30 (!) with newly acquired ear plugs, and I apparently slept through people riding their bikes through the barrack. I didn't wake up until about 6, when I lost an ear plug and the snorer went crazy. Sunday yielded an okay race, the aforementioned wind, and really good cheese enchiladas and rice and beans (vegetarian, yes!). This is in sharp contrast to last year, where I stayed up much later and drank way too much, thus making Sunday miserable. I wish I had some funny stories or something, but I don't. Oh, well, I guess it's kind of funny how Chris brought the waffle maker and made waffles for a couple people. Oh, the waffle maker, what a powerful symbol of our marriage it is.
I learned, though, that while hanging out with the cross racers is fun, some people seem to talk about nothing but bike shit. I love bikes and racing, and I understand that biking is the cohesive feature among everyone there, but I also like different subject content. I also find it kind of funny when the bike-talkers, specifically the bike-gear talkers, really aren't strong riders. Or when the analysis of the race makes so sense. Someone actually made a comment about how you don't use "strategy" in cross. Like, how can you not use strategy? I don't quite get it.
Now is the time for me to really hunker down and try to get stuff ready for AGU. At least I have all of the logistical stuff taken care of (registration, hotel, flight). I just, you know, need the science part to mesh together. I guess I should also finally worry about the whole "going back East for Christmas" thing.

No comments: